With the 2013 cooling season getting closer every day, now's a good time to schedule your yearly tune up for your air conditioner. You can improve air conditioner efficiency substantially by having your local trusted HVAC professional conduct a preventive maintenance inspection, often called a tune up, on your cooling system. Yearly tune ups ensure that your air conditioner is operating at its highest possible level and that small problems have been identified and fixed before the system starts working full-time.
When you schedule your ac tune up, a trained HVAC professional will have the opportunity to inspect and evaluate your air conditioner or heat pump. Your HVAC technician will be able to make adjustments, changes and repairs that will improve air conditioner efficiency and boost its performance, effectiveness and reliability.
The technician will perform important maintenance tasks, such as:
- Check refrigerant level and charge the system to the correct refrigerant amount.
- Check for and fix refrigerant leaks.
- Check, clean and tighten electrical connections.
- Inspect ducts for air leaks, loose connections or broken seals and correct problems to prevent air and energy loss.
- Lubricate parts such as fans and motors.
- Inspect belts for tightness and condition and replace damaged or missing belts.
- Inspect and clean drain pans and condensate drains.
- Add algaecide to drain systems, where needed.
- Check and clean condenser and evaporator coils.
- Check and calibrate system thermostat.
- Test fan blades for tightness and effective movement of air.
- Test system operation and adjust controls and other components.
You can assist your HVAC technician and give him or her extra time to concentrate on technical issues by doing a few maintenance tasks on your own.
- Clean or change air filter every one to three months.
- Clean around the A/C outdoor cabinet, removing grass, leaves and sticks from vents.
- Trim vegetation around the outdoor unit to provide plenty of clearance for proper airflow.
- Clean indoor vents and registers and make sure they are not blocked by boxes, clothing, furniture or other items.
For more information on how to improve air conditioner efficiency with a yearly air conditioning tune up or maintenance contract, contact us today at Sobieski Services. Our goal is to help educate our customers in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC & plumbing systems).
Image Credit: hermitsmoores