Buying And Maintaining Your Replacement Boiler
If you’re a homeowner buying a new boiler, there are a few things to keep in mind. Number one is efficiency. You want a system that will save on energy and heating costs, while also providing comfort. Here are a few tips to help you through the buying process.
To understand boiler efficiency, look to the AFUE, or the annual fuel utilization efficiency. This is an easy to understand, percentage-based rating of how well a system uses energy. The higher the AFUE, the more fuel becomes warm energy for your house. A unit with a 90 percent AFUE turns 90 percent of fuel into heat.
You have a variety of fuel options, including fossil-fueled, gas and electric models. Electric models generally have the highest AFUEs, but may not be the most cost-effective choice because operating costs can still be high. Condensing boilers are among the most economical long-term choices, and can save more than 10 percent relative to other systems.
Once you find the perfect boiler for your home, keep it operating at peak performance with some simple maintenance.
Maximizing the efficiency of your system depends on keeping it maintained. During a maintenance call, your technician will:
- Ensure the chimneys and vents are safe and working properly. These components can degrade with time and turn into expensive repairs.
- Make sure the heat exchanger is functioning safely and not leaking water.
- Make adjustments to the temperature controls to ensure the optimum amount of hot water is provided. These settings can change from season to season, relative to the outdoor temperature.
- Drain the water to remove accumulated sediment that may decrease efficiency, reducing the threat of mineral build-up or clogs.
- Test the content of the water in the system, adding chemicals as necessary to discourage corrosion and mineral deposits.
- Ensure the pressure-relief valve and high-limit safety control are functioning correctly.
If you’re in the process of selecting a new boiler, call Sobieski Services. We’ll be happy to help you find the perfect system and ensure it works properly over the years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Sobieski serves Wilmington, Delaware and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!
Image Credit: Thomas Hawk