Use This Checklist to Choose an Expert Plumber
Plumbing is an exacting profession that demands training and expertise, so choose an expert plumber for all your needs. The complexity of the water supply and disposal systems in today’s residences is not the place for the untrained and inexperienced. While it may be common for the general handyman or the local jack-of-all-trades to claim the skills to work on your household plumbing, many lack the education required and the credentials to prove it. Often the quality of work performed reflects that fact.
Here are some steps to make sure you choose an expert plumber to come into your home and get the job done right.
- Ask for the name of the master plumber employed at the company. The master plumber’s license number, beginning with the prefix “M,” should also be displayed in all advertisements and company literature.
- Check with the Delaware Division of Professional Regulation; New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs or Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation to verify the status of the master plumber license and determine if there’s a record of complaints against the company. Pennsylvania residents can find a directory of master plumbers at their respective city or county websites.
- Call your county or municipal building and plumbing inspector to find out if complaints against the plumber have been filed locally, if the company is authorized to operate in the municipality and if the specific work you’re considering will require a city permit and inspection.
- Ask for several written estimates from different companies before reaching a final decision. Estimates should be detailed as to the costs, materials and expected completion date, and whether the work is contracted on an hourly basis or as a single price for the entire job. All written estimates should include the master plumber’s license number and the company name, permanent business address and telephone number.
- Ask the plumber for local references and check them. Ask each reference about his or her overall satisfaction with the work of the plumber and such issues as competency, price and on-time completion of the project.
Sobieski Services is proud to offer homeowners licensed, experienced plumbing solutions. Contact us when you’re ready to choose an expert plumber for your home plumbing needs.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC & plumbing systems).
Image Credit: Rick Payette