Too Many AC Repair Calls? When To Consider Replacement
AC repair might seem like an affordable option right now, but over the long run, is it really the best choice? At what point should a homeowner say enough is enough? If you are struggling with that question, here are some factors to consider.
- How much does the repair cost? Not all repairs are the same; the most cost-effective option might be the service call. Have a licensed technician examine your air conditioner and supply an estimate so you can make an informed decision. As a general rule, if fixing the equipment exceeds 30 to 40 percent of the value of the cooling system, consider replacing it. The service company can also give you advice on the overall health of the unit.
- How old is the model? The age of the air conditioner is also something to keep in mind. Models over 10 years old are not as efficient as newer ones. Replacing an old air conditioner will save you money by lowering your monthly energy bills. At this point, replacing might be the right choice.
- What are your energy costs? Go over the energy bills from the last year and look for a trend. If you notice a gradual increase in running costs during the cooling season, the air conditioner may not be working well anyway. Purchasing a new air conditioner can increase efficiency and reduce costs. A/C repair will not necessarily improve the efficiency of the system. Replacing may be the only way to get that rising trend under control.
- Is temperature consistent throughout your home? Temperature variance throughout the house is a sign that the cooling system is struggling to meet the demands placed on it.
- Are service calls happening more frequently? How often you call for service is an important factor. If the air conditioner is breaking down regularly, it might be time to consider an upgrade.
The experts at Sobieski Services can help you determine the state of your home’s air conditioner and whether a new system is your best option. Contact us today for an evaluation of your air conditioner or any other heating and cooling system needs in the Wilmington, Middletown, Newark, and West Chester areas.
Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!