Tips to Make Your Spring Home Maintenance Routine a Breeze
To keep your home in peak condition for as long as possible, it’s important to have maintenance work done regularly, from top to bottom. An easy way to remember to do this is to hire an HVAC professional around the same time you do your household spring cleaning.
By taking good care of your home, you’ll be able to increase home comfort and avoid untimely repair work. You’ll also have a more visually appealing place to live in. Here are some basic spring home maintenance tasks that should be on your to-do list:
Spring Home Maintenance Checklist
The following tasks can be performed during spring home maintenance appointments:
- Inspect your property to see if there’s any damage to your walkways, and repair as needed.
- Fix, replace, or paint any damaged siding or trim.
- Inspect the outside of your home to see if any stucco or bricks need repair work done.
- Remove any leaves or debris from your gutters and downspouts, and check if they’re securely attached.
- Examine the condition of your roof.
- Inspect your outdoor electrical boxes to make sure they’re watertight.
- Clean or replace your HVAC system’s air filter to protect your system and lower energy use.
- Inspect your cooling system to maximize its energy-saving potential and to make sure it’s working safely and properly.
- Clear away any dust and debris around your HVAC system and other components, including cold-air vents, dryer vents, room fans, baseboard heaters and stove hoods, to encourage proper airflow.
- Caulk and weatherstrip any air leaks you may have.
- Change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Ensure you have adequate attic insulation to trap more cool air inside during the summer and to keep more warmth in during the winter.
- Repair leaky pipes in your bathroom, kitchen and utility room.
- Drain your water heater to prevent sediment buildup.
- Have your fireplace flue and liners cleaned, so creosote buildup doesn’t become a problem.
At Sobieski Services, Inc., our goal is to help our customers in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey learn more about energy and home comfort issues – especially HVAC and plumbing issues – so that they can save money and live in healthier, more comfortable homes.
Photo Credit: bortescristian via Compfight cc