The Right Furnace Filter Makes a Big Difference in Your IAQ
Choosing the right furnace filter for your home and making sure it’s changed according to its specifications can make a big difference in your home’s air quality. Here are five types of furnace filters and their pros and cons, to help you decide the right kind for your home:
- A disposable fiberglass furnace filter is the least expensive type of filter. They are created from spun fiberglass of 1-inch-thickness. They are a good choice for renters or for homeowners not suffering from asthma or allergies, since they do not capture any particles in the air.
- Disposable pleated filters are made from cotton paper or polyester. They are capable of removing some small particles from the air, such as mites and spores for instance. In order to avoid clogging and overtaxing the HVAC system, they need to be changed frequently. A clogged filter can provide air flow resistance, which can make it more expensive to operate the system.
- High-efficiency pleated filters are made from 4-5-inch pleated synthetic cotton attached to a rigid metal grid to prevent the filter from fluttering or leaking. They remove even the smallest particles from the air, making them helpful to people with respiratory problems or autoimmune disorders. However, they can only installed in special housing due to their thickness.
- Washable/reusable filters are designed to be reused, but never get completely clean and can cause restricted airflow as a result. They are also poor at capturing small particles.
- HEPA filters efficiently remove even the smallest particles; however, they are not designed to fit most standard furnaces, and need a separate system consisting of a fan and filter.
At Sobieski Services, Inc., our goal is to help our customers in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey learn more about energy and home comfort issues – especially HVAC and plumbing issues – so that they can save money and live in healthier, more comfortable homes.
Photo Credit: bradleygee via Compfight cc