Make HVAC Maintenance A Priority Now, Reap Rewards Later
The Wilmington area is known for its wintertime cold snaps and its summertime heat waves. Furnaces and air conditioners hum almost continually year-round in our region, and annual maintenance is essential for keeping your HVAC systems operating efficiently and problem-free every year. Annual preventive maintenance should be a fall priority for your furnace and a spring priority for your air conditioner. The small investment of an inspection and tune-up is well worth the benefits, which include:
- Greater system efficiency resulting in lower utility bills.
- Fewer expensive and inconvenient breakdowns when you need your system the most.
- Lower carbon footprint due to higher fuel efficiency and fewer emissions.
- Longer system operating life.
- Higher level of comfort due to optimal airflow, accuracy of the thermostat and output temperatures.
A skilled technician from a reputable contractor should perform your annual inspection and tune-up, which will include these tasks that are essential for safety, efficiency and savings:
- Lubricate the parts of your system that move to prevent friction.
- Inspect the wiring, and apply nonconductive coating to the terminals.
- Measure your furnace’s burner combustion and gas pressure and your air conditioner’s refrigerant level.
- Inspect your ductwork for air leaks and obstructions.
- Check your furnace for carbon monoxide safety.
- Clean and inspect the essential components of your system.
- Tighten electrical and gas connections on your equipment.
- Check belts and gaskets for wear.
- Test the system controls for proper cycling.
- Check your thermostat for accuracy, and calibrate it if needed.
The best way to keep your HVAC systems operating efficiently year-round is to make sure you check your air filter every month and replace it when it’s caked with dust. A clean filter is essential for optimum airflow, protecting your system’s components from damaging dust and improving your indoor air quality. A dirty filter is one of the most common culprits when it comes to system breakdowns.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC & plumbing systems.) To schedule annual maintenance, please contact us at Sobieski Services.
Photo Credit: DafneCholet via Compfight cc