Include Commercial Air Duct Cleaning in Your Building’s Fall Maintenance
With the fall maintenance season approaching, it’s time to consider what’s necessary to get your heating system ready for winter. When you call for preventive maintenance on the heating equipment itself, it would also be wise to schedule a commercial air duct cleaning. The air ducts in your commercial space have no doubt been directing cool air into your facility all summer long. Before winter gets here, have the ducts checked and cleaned by a professional duct cleaning service. You’ll see significant benefits in heating system efficiency and performance, consistency of heating, and indoor air quality.
The Need for Commercial Air Duct Cleaning
If the air ducts are not maintained and kept clean, you can experience problems such as:
- Dramatically reduced indoor air quality: Poor IAQ results when airborne particulates enter the ducts through gaps between sections and are then distributed along with conditioned air. Accumulations of dirt or other deposits inside the ducts can also be loosened over time and blown out into your facility.
- Problems with employee and customer health: Reduced indoor air quality can cause health problems related to airborne particulates or disease that can be more easily transmitted through faulty ducts. Material such as mold, animal or insect nests, dirt, and rodent droppings in the ductwork can have significant effects on respiratory health.
- Wasted energy and money: Clogged, loosened, or damaged ductwork can let conditioned air escape unused as the air travels along the duct network. This wastes energy and money, both because you’ve lost air that’s already been heated or cooled, and because more air must be conditioned to sustain indoor temperatures.
Benefits of Commercial Air Duct Cleaning
Commercial air duct cleaning offers substantial benefits for businesses, manufacturing facilities, offices, retail stores, and other commercial buildings.
- Improved indoor air quality: Clean ducts will not contain any materials that can be sent into your indoor spaces along with conditioned air. After a duct cleaning and inspection, loose sections will be reseated, connections will be sealed, and the chance of particulate infiltration will be reduced. Your indoor spaces will smell fresher and cleaner, which will make them more appealing to employees and customers.
- Improved facility safety: Any potentially hazardous or flammable material will be removed during a duct cleaning. Accumulations of dust, oil, or other material that could cause a fire will be scrubbed away.
- Less waste of energy and money: Clean ducts will provide a clear and open pathway for conditioned air to travel into your indoor areas. There will be no blockages that can interfere with airflow. Air leaks will be sealed and conditioned air will not be able to escape from the seams and connections in the duct network.
What to Look For in a Commercial Air Duct Cleaning Company
- Ask your HVAC professional if his company also does duct cleaning. If so, have your ductwork evaluated. If not, ask for a referral to a reliable source for a commercial air duct cleaning.
- Check references and reputation of any company you’re considering hiring for duct cleaning services.
- Ask if the cleaning company belongs to any professional industry organizations, such as the National Air Duct Cleaners Association (NADCA). Membership in such groups indicates a company that is likely concerned with upholding ethical standards and industry’s best practices.
- Make sure the ductwork is inspected thoroughly and that you are given a report on the condition of the ducts before cleaning begins.
- Ask questions about the process until you understand what will be done and what the results will be.
- Get a written contract, signed by you and the contractor, that specifies exactly what will be done during the duct cleaning process.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about Plumbing, HVACR, Fire Protection, and Alarm Systems in Mechanical, Commercial, and Residential settings. For more information on commercial air duct cleaning and its many benefits, or to view projects we’ve worked on, visit our website!