The Importance of Regular Sump Pump Maintenance in Your Wilmington Home
The sump pump in your Wilmington home may be out of sight in your basement, but it is still a vital piece of equipment for keeping your residence safe from water damage. Here is a brief introduction to sump pumps and the importance of regular sump pump maintenance.
What Does a Sump Pump Do?
Sump pumps are usually installed in a pit dug at the lowest point in the basement of your home. This allows excess groundwater or water from rains or floods to flow into the pit. When the water level in the pit reaches a specified depth, it trips a float switch that activates the sump pump. The device then pumps water out of the pit through a pipe or hose and out of the basement.
Sump Pump Maintenance
You or your plumbing professional should inspect and test the sump pump regularly—normally, right before storm season. This ensures that the pump is ready to protect your home when heavy rainfall is more likely. The sump pump maintenance and inspection process should include these steps:
- Make sure the sump pump is receiving power and that all connections are safe.
- Clear dirt and debris from the pit.
- Fill the sump pit to the level needed to activate the pump. If the pump does not come on, call your plumbing professional for repair.
- Test the sump pump by lifting the float switch if there is one. Again, repair will be necessary if the pump does not activate.
- Fill the pit with clean water a few times and cycle this water through the pump to clean away any dirt or material inside it if the sump pump activates as expected
Contact us today for more information on the importance of sump pump maintenance or for the services you need to keep your sump pump working properly.
At Sobieski Services, Inc., our goal is to help our customers in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey learn more about energy and home comfort issues – especially HVAC and plumbing issues – so that they can save money and live in healthier, more comfortable homes.
Photo Credit: Patrick Hoesly via Compfight cc