How to Clean Up & Prevent Mold Growth Indoors
In your home, a wet surface is all that tiny, invisible mold spores floating in the air need to grow. There are a few areas in the home where moisture is a constant issue, making them more likely to be a source of mold growth. These include:
- Laundry rooms
It is vital that you clean affected surfaces immediately to prevent the problem from spreading throughout your home. Molds can damage or stain the surfaces they grow on, and they produce allergens and irritants that can cause reactions such as sneezing, runny nose, skin rash, red eyes, or asthma attacks. Some also produce toxic substances called mycotoxins that can cause serious illness. Prevent damage to your home and avoid health problems by minimizing moisture. Existing mold growth should be cleaned immediately, but assess the size of the problem before tackling it yourself. If the affected area is larger than 10 square feet, you may need to hire a professional contractor to do the cleanup. If the area is less than 10 square feet, then proceed with the following steps:
- Fix water issues such as leaks to remove major sources of moisture, and dry all surfaces completely.
- Put on an N-95 respiratory mask, gloves and goggles before you begin cleaning.
- Clean hard surfaces such as wood or drywall with a mixture of detergent and water.
- Dry all cleaned surfaces completely.
- Increase ventilation in rooms that are consistently damp, such as bathrooms, by installing an exhaust fan or dehumidifier, or by opening windows.
- Clean and dry surfaces in the bathroom and other moist areas on a regular basis.
- Porous materials such as ceiling tiles or fabrics may not be salvageable.
If you have more questions about mold cleanup, please contact us at Sobieski Services. Our goal is to help educate our customers in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC & plumbing systems).
Photo Credit: Alan Cleaver via Compfight cc