Here Are Some Whole-House Energy Savings Ideas To Reduce Energy Bills
Everything costs more these days, and, if you’re like most homeowners, you’re constantly searching for ways to save. One of the best ways to reduce your monthly expenses around the house is to save energy. By lowering your consumption rates, you’ll not only enjoy reduced energy bills, but you may also qualify for generous government tax rebates for making energy-efficient home upgrades.
Here are 10 tips that can boost your home energy savings and reduce expenses:
- Switch to fluorescent lighting. This simple change alone can save you up to 75 percent on your lighting expenses.
- Turn down your water heater’s thermostat. It’s rare that you’ll need your water heated as hot as it can get; save some power by reducing the maximum temperature of your water heater thermostat.
- Upgrade your windows and doors. Drafty windows and doors are one of the most common culprits when it comes to home heat loss.
- Improve your insulation. Inhibit heat transfer in both the summer and winter by upgrading to better insulation.
- Maintain your HVAC system. A properly maintained HVAC system will run more efficiently and draw less power.
- Clean your ductwork. Dust- and dirt-free ducts allow for the more efficient circulation of conditioned air, reducing the burden on your HVAC system.
- Replace your old appliances. Today’s ranges, fridges, freezers, dishwashers, furnaces and air conditioners use much less energy than they did even a few years ago.
- Wash your clothes in cold water. Cold water cleans your clothes just as well as hot water, without forcing you to pay extra for the luxury.
- Use major appliances at off-peak hours. Some municipalities charge higher rates for using appliances at peak times; avoid using your dishwasher, washing machine or dryer during these periods.
- Supplement your air conditioning with fans. If you have powerful, well-located fans, you won’t have to run your air conditioning as much to cool things down in the summer.
The friendly professionals at Sobieski Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning are happy to help you save energy. Give us a call if you need products or services to help you reduce your home’s energy consumption.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Sobieski serves Wilmington, Delaware and the surrounding areas. To get started, check out our website.