Great Maintenance Tips for a Healthier Home Environment
Even if you maintain a squeaky clean home, there may be some trouble areas you’re overlooking. If you’re interested in creating a healthier home environment, make sure to look out for any of the potential problems mentioned below, and take action as needed.
Potential Trouble Spots
- Bathroom: When you scrub your toilet, be sure to also clean your flush handle. Encourage your family to rub an antibacterial wipe on the toilet handle after every use.
- Kitchen: Make sure to get leaks in your faucet and pipes fixed as soon as you detect them, so you can avoid any mold growth. Also, wash cutting boards thoroughly with hot water, particularly if you use the same one for vegetables/fruit and meat. Also, soak your sponges in a cleaning solution or else change sponges frequently.
- Bedroom: Vacuum your mattress and wash your linens in hot water to control dust mites.
- Elsewhere in your home: Make sure to clean all the doorknobs in your home with antibacterial wipes. You can also request that your carpets be aired out before they’re installed, so they’ll emit fewer harmful volatile organic compounds (VOCs). You should also air out any new furnishings made of pressed wood.
Your HVAC System Can Help
Poor indoor air quality can be a source of a number of unhealthful conditions. Pay attention to the following factors:
- Use a good quality HVAC filter to trap a multitude of pollutants that might otherwise be recirculated into your air.
- Your air conditioner can help control excess moisture that might cause mold growth. If your home’s humidity is not within the recommended 30 to 55 percent range, you can add moisture with a humidifier (adequate humidity can help control respiratory problems and the flu), while a dehumidifier can control extra moisture.
- Install a ventilation system if you have to keep your home closed most of the year and if you’re concerned about stale air.
- Use air purifiers to control a variety of pollutants, such as mold, pollen, pet dander and tobacco smoke.
At Sobieski Services, Inc., our goal is to help our customers in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey learn more about energy and home comfort issues – especially HVAC and plumbing issues – so that they can save money and live in healthier, more comfortable homes.
Photo Credit: emily @ go haus go via Compfight cc