Even Your Water Heater Needs Maintenance This Fall
The life span of a water heater ranges from 8 to twelve years, depending on the water quality in your home. In order to live its full potential, your water heater needs maintenance just like other appliances in your home.
Water Heater Maintenance
- Keep the thermostat set to 120 degrees. Not only will this reduce the risk of scalding but it will also save you money.
- Maintain two feet of clearance.You should make sure the area around your water heater is clear of clutter within a two foot span.
- Drain the tank. Drain around a quarter of the tank twice a year in order to remove any sediment and debris from the water heater. You can do so by hooking a garden hose up to the drain valve and running it until the water is clear. Your water heater needs maintenance such as this to run efficiently throughout its life.
- Test the temperature-pressure relief valve. Perform this test annually. Simply discharge the valve a few times and then inspect it carefully for any leaks.
- Inspect the sacrificial anode rod. You’ll want to inspect the anode rod every three to five years. You can do so by loosening the hex bolt and removing it (refer to the owner’s manual if you cannot find it or for unit specific instructions). If six inches or more of the steel core wire is exposed, replace the rod with a new one.
- Insulate. If you have an older unit, insulate it with a special water heater jacket made of fiberglass insulation (be sure to keep the flue clear). Newer units are already optimized and a water heater jacket isn’t necessary.
- When not in use turn it off. Going out of town for an extended period of time? Turn your electric water heater off or your gas heater to “vacation.”
At Sobieski Services, Inc., our goal is to help our customers in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey learn more about energy and home comfort issues – especially HVAC and plumbing issues – so that they can save money and live in healthier, more comfortable homes.
Photo Credit: tibbygirl via Compfight cc