CO Detection: It Should Be of Concern Throughout the Year
Carbon monoxide (CO), the odorless, tasteless gas that’s a byproduct of combustion, can build up and endanger you and your family any time of year, but especially during cold weather. Wood stoves, gas heaters, chimneys that don’t work properly, and kerosene space heaters can all cause harmful levels of carbon monoxide, if not operated or vented properly. This is why effective CO detection is so important in your home.
Watch for these symptoms of CO poisoning:
- Confusion and fainting
- Impaired vision
If you experience any of these symptoms in a closed room, open windows or get outside immediately. Also seek medical attention. CO Detection Carbon monoxide comes from automobile exhaust, boilers and other equipment in your garage. Your barbecue is a source of carbon monoxide but it should remain outside. Good indoor air quality is essential to your quality of life and state of health. This is why it’s advisable to have more than one CO detector in your home. CO detectors work like fire alarms and give off a similar ear-splitting noise when concentrations of the gas get too high. Preventative measures are the best way to keep that alarm from buzzing.
Eliminate CO in the Home
Here are easy steps to prevent CO buildup:
- Have a professional heating installer checker your ventilation system, furnace, boiler, chimney flue and other combustible devices in your home.
- If you have a kerosene heater, use the right fuel expressly for the heater.
- Make sure your wood stove meets federal EPA emission standards and has tight-fitting doors.
- Gas stoves must be properly adjusted with proper vents leading outdoors.
- Never use a barbecue or burn charcoal in the house even if the power is out and that’s the only way you can cook.
- Make sure your gas back-up generator is far enough from the house so that you don’t inhale the exhaust. Never use the generator in an enclosed area.
Sobieski Services will inspect your heating and ventilation system and repair any problems that can lead to elevated carbon monoxide levels. Our goal is to help educate our customers in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey about energy and home comfort issues specific to HVAC and plumbing systems.
Image Credit: trieu88