Buying A New Air Conditioner: Technology That Maximizes Efficiency
As air conditioning technology gets better and better, more features become available to improve energy efficiency and home comfort. These features increase an air conditioner’s SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio). The higher the SEER, the lower your air conditioning bills will be this summer. The potential for energy savings is significant when you take advantage of the advanced air conditioning technology available today.
Here are the top six features to look for when buying a new air conditioner.
- Thermal expansion valve: This feature promotes higher efficiency on the hottest days. Compared to older piston valves, the thermal expansion valve extracts more energy out of the refrigerant circulating through the system, which is good news for your energy bills and comfort level.
- Variable speed air handler: With the ability to vary and adjust airflow, this advanced A/C technology keeps your home at a more consistent temperature. It also results in longer cycles that reduce wear and tear on the system and provide better humidity control and air filtration.
- Fan-only switch: On pleasant summer evenings, this advanced A/C technology allows air to circulate through the system without running the compressor. It’s a great technique for keeping cool while reducing air conditioning costs.
- Filter check light: It’s important to change the air filter every month or two. This advanced A/C technology helps you remember the task with a light that illuminates after a certain number of operating hours have elapsed.
- Automatic-delay fan switch: Set the programmable thermostat to automatically keep the fan running a few minutes longer than the compressor. This ensures all the cool air makes it out of the ductwork and into the living space for improved comfort without increasing your energy bills.
- Quiet operation: While this has nothing to do with efficiency, it contributes significantly to comfort. A quieter compressor means you can enjoy relaxing afternoons and evenings outside without a blaring A/C unit.
For more information about the advantages of buying an air conditioner with advanced A/C technology, please contact Sobieski Services today. Our goal is to help educate our customers in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC & plumbing systems).
Image Credit: Anke L